Health and Safety Training
The Health and Safety Training Series is presented by the Family Child Care Educators at the Capital District Child Care Council. Health and Safety is required by the New York State Office of Children and Family Services to open a family or group family child care program.
Health and Safety Session
- Learn to provide safe and secure play-spaces for children from child development experts.
- Prepare for situations such as fires and medical emergencies with proven methods that follow NYS regulations.
- Learn your responsibilities as a mandated reporter of child abuse.
- Provide a healthy environment by mastering infection control techniques, learning to conduct daily health checks, and keep accurate health histories.
Business Development Session
- Learn the “ins & outs” of running a business in your home, including tips on marketing, “Doing Business As,” creating policies, and organizing tax records from an experienced former family child care provider.
Health Care Planning Session
- As a bonus, this free Health Care Planning Session is scheduled to take place immediately following the Business Development Session on the last day of the Health and Safety Series. Participants will develop a Health Care Plan, a required aspect of the OCFS application to become a family child care provider, with the assistance of a Registered Nurse.
When all sessions of the series are completed, participants will have earned 21.5 training hours (and 2.15 Continuing Education Units)