The Capital Region's working families want safe, high quality and affordable early care and education for their children, but good quality child care can be expensive. Financial resources and benefits are available to help families manage the cost of child care:
- Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit: If you paid someone to care for a child or a dependent so you could work, you may be able to reduce your tax by claiming the credit on your tax return.
- Earned Income Tax Credit: The Federal and State Earned Income Tax Credits are refundable tax benefits for working people with low or moderate incomes.
- Department of Social Services Financial Aid: Working parents with incomes at or below certian guidelines may qualify for financial aid with their local county Department of Social Services.
- The Child Care Facilitated Enrollment Program: Provides child care subsidies for families with children under 13 years of age in the Capital Region, for a 12 month period.
- Employer Programs: Additional help with child care costs may be available through your employer.
- Additional Programs: Other types of assistance that may be available that are appropriate to the family
- Budgeting Your Child Care Options: The Child Care Aware Budgeting Child Care Options calculator allows families to examine their financial situation both with and without the cost of child care.
- Average Cost of Child Care in the Capital Region: A county-by-county overview of the average cost of child care based on the the type of child care and the child's age.
Contact the Capital District Child Care Council with any questions and speak to a Parent Educator by calling 518.426.7181, or emailing Tricia Howland.
Families feel the pinch of paying for child care.
Whether you are a parent who currently has children in child care, are seeking care, or have used child care in the past, please take a moment to complete this survey. This information will help determine the Child Care Council’s work to help families like you. Your information will be kept confidential. One survey per family.
All survey participants will be entered to win a $50 Price Chopper gift card.