Farm to Preschool
is a USDA approved program that is affiliated with Eat Well Play Hard in Child Care Settings. The program aims to increase access to locally sourced fresh fruits and vegetables for food insecure families in the Capital Region. The Farm to Preschool Farm Stand offers a comfortable location for children and families to learn about and sample fresh fruits and vegetables directly from local farmers.
Benefits to the Child Care Center and Community
Farm to Preschool offers:
- Fresh, local produce grown by NY state farmers
- The ability to purchase produce with WIC FV and WIC FMNP vouchers, SNAP EBT cards, Fresh Connect coupons or Debit Card, or Cash
- Food tastings and demonstrations
- Nutrition education
Farm to Preschool Garden Project
Each participating child care center will receive a Farm to Preschool Child Care Garden Toolkit. The Toolkit will provide
- A step-by-step guide for beginning a garden in the early child care setting
- Educational resources with curriculum
- Materials for container gardens or in-ground gardens
- Child sized gardening tools
Benefits To The Farmer
There is no cost for the farmer to participate in Farm to Preschool. All proceeds from sales go directly to the farmer. The Capital District Child Care Council will be on hand to:
- Assist with produce sales
- Provide nutrition education
- Arrange food tastings and demonstrations
- Lead fun activities for children, families, and community
- Promote the Farm to Preschool Farm Stand at the child care site and in the surrounding community.
Contact the Capital District Child Care Council with any questions by calling 518.426.7181, or emailing Darlene Yule.