The Child Care Health Consultant Services Department is staffed by three Registered Nurses who have specialized knowledge in regulations and other issues related to healthy child care.
Child Care Health Consultant Services
- Assist child care providers with completing a Health Care Plan
- Review the child care program’s health policies and procedures
- Conduct site visits of the child care program
- Review the Health Care Plan and sign as the Health Care Consultant of Record
- Consult regarding health, safety, infection control, and communicable diseases
- Provide information on working with children with special health care needs
- Assist parents and providers in obtaining needed health services
Child Care Health Consultant agreements are for two year periods.
Health Care Plans
Licensed and registered child care programs must have a Health Care Plan that addresses the health maintenance, infection control, and medication administration policies of the program. Programs that choose to administer medication to children must have a Health Care Consultant of record approve this Health Care Plan. Legally Exempt child care providers who choose to administer medication to children receiving subsidy must also have a Health Care Plan and Health Care Consultant.
Our Nurses teach Health Classes, including Medication Administration Training and various other classes on specific health conditions, such as:
- Asthma, Anaphylaxis, and the administration of Emergency Medication Administration (EMA)
- Special Needs : Diabetes, Seizure Disorders, Emotional and Psychosocial Disorders
- Infection Control and Daily Health Checks
- Common Illnesses
- Lead Poisoning
Contact the Capital District Child Care Council with any questions and speak to a Child Care Health Consultant by calling 518.426.7181.